Friday, December 9, 2011

From Trash To Beachy Treasure

I found this side table discarded on the side of the road in a parking lot. So into the car it went.  It wasn't in too bad of shape and I liked the curve of the legs.

Before!






















After cleaning it up and adding some glue to the legs to make them more secure, I lightly sanded the entire table and applied a base coat of cream semi-gloss paint. I then lightly sanded it again and applied a gray wash after the cream paint had dried. I then sanded it one more time and went back over the piece with a dry brush of cream paint again.  I sanded it again and added a matte gold wash over the surface.

Once the entire piece was dry I took a piece of cheap lace (key word is cheap, you don't want to use your good lace for this project) and secured it to the top.  I found a lace curtain from Kmart on sale for $1.00.  Take time to arrange it on the surface of whatever you're going to stencil.  Make sure it's pulled tightly and secured to your surface.  I use blue painter's tape to secure my projects (it doesn't take the paint off).

Once everything's in place I spray painted the table with a matte spray paint in a pewter/beige color. Let it dry then pull off the lace and voila! a brand new lace top table.

finished table

















detail of lace stencil on top of table

1 comment:

  1. That table DID come out gorgeous! Glad to be your first follower. I should say hello here, I also live in S.Florida, Pembroke Pines Village. I've just embarked on making the house I live in as my own home. :D blessings, Lady

    ReplyDelete